Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wednesday - Day Three

God's word is surprising.



 Bible Story:
Paul Survives a bite by a poisonous snake.
(Acts 28:1 -10)

Bible Buddy:
Wink the Look Out Monkey
Wink is always looking for all the
big, wild, amazing and incredible surprises
in God's Word.




As Devonshire's ministry blossoms in the hearts of it's young, we are discovering ways He is finding his way to each and every one of them.

Typically I prefer to keep these blogs to a more general, information-sharing stature; but today there is more to share and it brings a bit of my personal life into this documentary of our special week.

After our third night of VBS, I was driving the kids home.  The music whispered in the car ever so slightly, so we could talk.  The windows were down and we enjoyed the first cool night in some time.  The hum of passing cars interrupted the purr of the tires on the pavement.  Street lights shone in through the open windows and the wind blew in our hair.  I glanced over at my daughter and she her face reflected a quiet moment of introspection.

As we pulled into the neighborhood, she began to talk:

"Mummy, I think I'm feeling Jesus.  I was looking at the ground back there, and I think I saw Jesus face.  But then I looked again, and there was only a branch in the road."

The streets were quiet and we rolled into the driveway.  I put the car in park and turned my attention to her.  The parking lights cast a glow across her hopeful face as she looked at me for an explanation. 

Before I spoke, I looked directly in her eyes,

"Liv, Jesus is everywhere.  He shows himself in many ways - most of them unexpectedly, but it is always when he wants you to see him.  Every time you think of Jesus, it is because he is close by and he wants you to remember him always." 

My normally turbulent daughter was silent, looking back at me with glassy blue eyes.  She was struck with those words.  I looked into the backseat where my son was sitting.  He was looking back at me with the very same look on his face.  They couldn't speak and I could feel the significance of the words myself.

Vacation Bible School has brought to the forefront of their minds what I have spent years looking for myself... a reason.  A way.  A light and a beacon of never-ending, unconditional love. 
All we have to do it look for it. 

May you all have a moment like this with your children...

Today at VBS, our children studied this verse:

"Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions."






Play skits for all to enjoy and participate


Emily shows off her work of (he)art, while the others continue theirs.








Another creative snack:  a sea of blue jello, the sandy beach of a 'nilla wafer and the snake that bit Paul




Little Wonders...





With wide open hearts.




and little angels all over the place...



To all parents:  Please remember, everything the volunteers teach during VBS is just a start. 
The rest of it blossoms at home, for you to nurture and cultivate.

With blessing to all,
Devonshire Church

No comments:

Post a Comment